Making Paper Tubes

• Andy Sephton
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 May 2018 11:24 #1 by Andy Sephton
Making Paper Tubes was created by Andy Sephton
I need a paper tube to locate the fin on my ABC Robin which I'm building in a separate thread, so I thought I might add the details here in case anyone is interested. The method I use is not mine, I saw it published in AeroModeller in the early 80s in an article by Laurie Barr.

First off, you need a metal mandrel to mould the tube around of the same external diameter as the internal diameter of the tube. In this case, I'm using 3mm aluminium tube. For the paper, I've cut some squares of heavyweight white tissue whose size has been found by trial and error. i.e., I cut it to a width greater than the tube length required, then wrapped it around the ali tube until I got to the thickness I wanted. The excess was then cut off the tissue leaving a rectangle of the size I wanted. The ali tube was then polished with some wet and dry and some balsa cement sourced, leaving me at this position:

A good dollop of balsa cement is then laid across the tissue:

.. and the metal form laid across the glue:

Then, quickly roll up the paper over the metal form. I use my fingers to get it started, then roll it over the board to make sure the glue penetrated all of the tissue. If it doesn't, start again and use more glue.

Working quickly and before the glue goes off, slide the tube off the metal form using a finger nail. DO NOT TOUCH THE TUBE as it is easily crushed before the glue fully goes off.

Then, without touching it again, leave it to dry for about 24 hours.

I've made up three tubes.When they're dry, I'll face the ends with a razor blade and choose the best one for the model. I'll post again when that's been completed:

All that remains now is to spend a delightful 10 minutes or so picking the dried balsa cement off your fingers.... ;) ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2018 20:12 #2 by Mike Rolls
Replied by Mike Rolls on topic Making Paper Tubes
Back in the old days, that was how you identified a fellow modeller!
Mike

The older I get, the better I was!

More
29 May 2018 20:26 #3 by Squirrelnet
Replied by Squirrelnet on topic Making Paper Tubes
I have not heard of this method. I've used ordinary cartridge paper or Ink jet paper rolled a couple of turns and sealed with PVA or more recently Prit. This methods looks like it would be much lighter

• Phil Wood
  • Aermodellers Staff
  • Aermodellers Staff
More
30 May 2018 00:55 - 30 May 2018 00:58 #4 by Phil Wood
Replied by Phil Wood on topic Making Paper Tubes
Doesn't the balsa glue shrink as it dries and distort the tube?
I like the idea of the "hands on" modelling, but being the lazy sod I am I'd be tempted to find a drinking straw of the required diameter. :lol:
How is the tube used to locate the fin? ... is it two vertical tubes coming from the fuselage and matching holes in the bottom of the fin?

Edit ..... Trust me to be too hasty, I'll go and find the other thread and catch up on that. ;)

Pol.

Why struggle for perfection?...just cheat & copy me.:-)
Last edit: 30 May 2018 00:58 by Phil Wood.

• Andy Sephton
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 May 2018 06:37 #5 by Andy Sephton
Replied by Andy Sephton on topic Making Paper Tubes
It might shrink slightly Pol, but in most cases that's not an issue.

Coincidently, the first tube I tried on the dowel was too small and I had to cut it off, leaving two left. I sanded the dowel down a size or two and the remaining tubes were a good fit. Here's the result next to the fin after facing the two ends of the tube with a razorblade:

Attachments:

More
30 May 2018 10:33 #6 by Quorneng
Replied by Quorneng on topic Making Paper Tubes
The only paper (not tissue) tubes I have used are thrust tubes for small EDFs.

They were "hardened" using thin super glue which wicks readily to soak the paper all the way though.
When dry it is almost like a fibre reinforced plastic which can be safely painted without fear of the paper "rippling".

After 3 years of flying in this picture. ;)
Attachments:

More
30 May 2018 11:50 #7 by Mike Rolls
Replied by Mike Rolls on topic Making Paper Tubes
It's many years since I needed to make paper tubes (can't even remember why I needed them) but I used piano wire as the mandrel - from memory the tubes would have been formed on something like 8swg wire. I used tissue and balsa cement, but - perhaps I'm just clumsy - sliding them off before the cement had dried always saw the tube collapse, so I greased the wire with Vaseline or the like and left the tube in place until the glue dried. Usually worked fine,
Mike

The older I get, the better I was!

• one tenor
  • 2 Grigg
  • 2 Grigg
  • johnpcalex@gmail.com
More
30 May 2018 12:00 #8 by one tenor
Replied by one tenor on topic Making Paper Tubes
Pol if you want straws //paper if you like. See here ----https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=paper+straws+cheap&oq=Paper+straws&aqs=chrome.5.0l6.29873j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8... Also from Tesco /Asda and Home Bargains.In fact almost anywhere even some off licences. Don't forget to scrape the wax coating off before gluing. Good idea though Good luck

Anything will fly given enough power

More
30 May 2018 16:28 #9 by Mowerman
Replied by Mowerman on topic Making Paper Tubes
I have used paper tubes built into wings for aileron servo leads The tubes were made from printer paper and PVA glue. My last build needed tubes longer than I could make from A4 paper so I used Brown paper glued with Prit, a total failure as the tubes seem to have un-stuck so the leads could not be pulled through so I will have to hope they do not need replacing. :(

More
30 May 2018 16:38 #10 by old fart
Replied by old fart on topic Making Paper Tubes
The problem with using a Pritstik is that the paper needs to be pressed together with a bit more than 'gentle' pressure.

There is nothing like a dream to create the future.

Electrickery is the work of the devil.

• one tenor
  • 2 Grigg
  • 2 Grigg
  • johnpcalex@gmail.com
More
31 May 2018 03:15 #11 by one tenor
Replied by one tenor on topic Making Paper Tubes
I've used thick PVA for paper tubes in the past but for somewhat bigger tubes. D.F. tubes, and fuzzez and the like.P VA takes a bit longer to dry but it;s pretty quick.More so if it's thick. You can end up picking that off your fingers too quite often :blink: :blink:
Cheers John O/T

Anything will fly given enough power

Time to create page: 1.292 seconds