tail wing on glider

More
21 Dec 2018 10:00 #1 by vmaxer
tail wing on glider was created by vmaxer
hi peeps
well i will try to explain my problem as best i can please excuse lack of pics as im not computer literate:(
im building a glider not a particuler make just 10ft wing composite fuz ,my problem is i want to have the rear wing moving up and down as a complete unite not just have elevators so to speak [the wing will move as elevators] it has a rudder , so any ideas as its delaying my build:S :S ive been trolling the tinternet for weeks and found nothing,what i can,t believe how much ive forgot with not flying for a few years [old age]any help would be great thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2018 11:01 - 21 Dec 2018 11:02 #2 by Quorneng
Replied by Quorneng on topic tail wing on glider
I think you may be referring to an "all moving tail plane".
Each half of the tail plane is in one piece and pivoted. To do this requires a fairly substantial tube to joint them as it has to carry all the flight loads. The position of the pivot is also critical. Too far forward puts an undue load on the servo, too far back and it is likely to simply break something!
An all flying tail plane.

If this is not what you are thinking of a picture would help.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2018 11:02 by Quorneng.

More
21 Dec 2018 18:22 #3 by THE BLACKBIRD
Replied by THE BLACKBIRD on topic tail wing on glider
I have one on my F104 it sits on top of the fin, is that the sort of thing your looking for, there are pictures on the thread

Tony

More
22 Dec 2018 08:33 #4 by Eric
Replied by Eric on topic tail wing on glider
Graupner (Hi-fly model) used an AMT.
They use a large 45' bellcrank to drive the tail feathers. The crank pivot is also the tailplane pivot, and the crank 'end' is the other mounting point. (the other end goes to the servo, of course!)
The tailplane has it's pivot at the 1/3 cord position, (by the spar/thickest point/etc)
Slop is your worst enemy, as you need a solid construction here, or you get surface flutter, which is disaster. You can get away with a bit of side-to-side rocking, although it looks untidy.
I have an 'exploded' drawing of it somewhere, but can I put my hand on it?
It is tricky to set up for trim, as the required movement for full ele is quite small, compared with a fixed tail and elevator system, as there is no 'straight line' to give you a zero setting!

if you are calm and collected when all about you are going berserk - you've missed something important!

• Klipkopwildlife
  • Aermodellers Staff
  • Aermodellers Staff
  • I'm supposed to be retired!
More
22 Dec 2018 09:41 #5 by Klipkopwildlife
Replied by Klipkopwildlife on topic tail wing on glider
All flying tail planes are perfect in that they always operate at full efficiency as opposed to a fixed tail plane that is only properly efficient at one setting. The secret is to set the mean chord line of the main plane 2o positive to the tail. The aircraft is guaranteed to fly even at low speeds and you have a starting point for final trim.

Do it now, you may never get another chance

More
22 Dec 2018 14:28 #6 by vmaxer
Replied by vmaxer on topic tail wing on glider
hi and thanks for the replies :) i think youve got a general jist of what im trying to do,can i call the part that the rudder goes on as the post,right my original idea was to put rear wing on top of post :woohoo: but then i thought [as you do]i,ll put the wing 1/3 up the post and use the lot as elev ;) i understand as it wont need much movement ive got carbon rod or alum rod to use but just can,t get my head round how im going to make it move with out any play help.

More
22 Dec 2018 16:13 - 22 Dec 2018 16:16 #7 by Eric
Quick sketch -
Forgot to add a curved slot for the rear wire rod that drives the tailplane - but I think you can see how it works. Simple, direct. Built accurately, there can be no slop. The tailplane just plugs onto the wire rods. With a tiny 1mm or so bend in one of the rods, the friction produced will stop the t/p halves from sliding off, or you can make a little wire 'staple' that goes into each half, and through the curved slot.

if you are calm and collected when all about you are going berserk - you've missed something important!
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Dec 2018 16:16 by Eric.

More
22 Dec 2018 17:07 #8 by vmaxer
Replied by vmaxer on topic tail wing on glider
just a quick one eric ,are the built up blocks glued inside each half of the rear wing sorry for silly question ,,,,,,,,,,

More
22 Dec 2018 17:53 #9 by Eric
No, they're fixed onto the fin, to help stabilize the pivot rod (and tailplane).

Time to create page: 0.570 seconds