× Flying models without a radio

Free Flight at Ashdown Forest, Sussex

More
30 Dec 2018 18:57 #1 by DeeBee1
Free Flight at Ashdown Forest, Sussex was created by DeeBee1
Hi,

Does anyone on the forum fly free-flight in Ashdown Forest (informally, not as part of competition)?

The forest has an agreement with the BMFA that members can fly free-flight (and RC gliders) there providing certain regulations are followed.
The South East area BMFA representative has given me some background info and I've read the rules and regs. There are designated areas for flying.

I fancy having a go there with some small powered free-flighters and was wondering if anyone had any experience flying in the forest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2018 23:22 - 30 Dec 2018 23:24 #2 by Eric
Replied by Eric on topic Free Flight at Ashdown Forest, Sussex
Sorry, can't help with that one, I'm in Cheshire! Blackbird is in Cyprus, and Klippy is in South Africa. Phil (pol) is in Liverpool.
Good luck.

if you are calm and collected when all about you are going berserk - you've missed something important!
Last edit: 30 Dec 2018 23:24 by Eric.

More
31 Dec 2018 02:02 #3 by Reach
Replied by Reach on topic Free Flight at Ashdown Forest, Sussex
and I'm in Alberta!

More
01 Jan 2019 04:47 #4 by Ausmodeller
Replied by Ausmodeller on topic Free Flight at Ashdown Forest, Sussex
...and guess where I am!

Gary

More
01 Jan 2019 05:58 #5 by Phil Wood
Replied by Phil Wood on topic Free Flight at Ashdown Forest, Sussex
Is Ashdown Forest owned by the National Trust? I remember reading somewhere that the N.T. encourage the flying of model aircraft, but only gliders!
I often go slope soaring off a small cliff at Thurstaston on the Wirral and one of the paragliders that use the site told me that the N.T. don't like noisy engines spoiling their nature reserves and scaring the birds.
I need to look into this myself as I want to use some electric powered gliders there .... so do they object to power for safety reasons or is it the noise that's a problem?
I'll ask the game warden next time I go, or I may ring the National Trust, ..... I'll get back to you with what they say. ;)

Pol.

Why struggle for perfection?...just cheat & copy me.:-)

More
01 Jan 2019 09:46 #6 by Eric
Replied by Eric on topic Free Flight at Ashdown Forest, Sussex
Point out to them that Electric Assist (emphasize assist, not power!) is a lot safer than having 50 Mtrs of elastic, and 200 Mtrs of fishing line stretched out, for people and wildlife to trip over and get tangled up in.

if you are calm and collected when all about you are going berserk - you've missed something important!

More
01 Jan 2019 12:10 #7 by DeeBee1
Replied by DeeBee1 on topic Free Flight at Ashdown Forest, Sussex
Hi Phil,

The BMFA have a licence to allow it's members to fly powered free flight and powered/non-powered gliders in the forest subject to certain regulations http://southeast.bmfa.org/ashdown-forest

I was really just asking whether any forum members have actually flown there and can give me any tips on best location to avoid very rough ground, dog walkers etc. The forest is very large but model flying is only allowed in certain areas.

As an aside, the R/C club I fly with is inside the South Downs National Park, and we have to be very careful in regards to noise so everything is sound tested, including electrics, before it can be flown.

Happy New Year to all!

Time to create page: 0.393 seconds