Fairey Firefly MK5 from Vance Mosher plan

More
23 Sep 2018 10:00 #46 by THE BLACKBIRD
Replied by THE BLACKBIRD on topic Fairey Firefly MK5 from Vance Mosher plan
I bought a battery operated one from Lidl a couple of months ago, very good tool with a load of bits with it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ralpharr2001
  • Ralpharr2001's Avatar Topic Author
  • 200+ Posts
  • 200+ Posts
More
23 Sep 2018 15:04 - 23 Sep 2018 15:05 #47 by Ralpharr2001
Replied by Ralpharr2001 on topic Fairey Firefly MK5 from Vance Mosher plan
Well did some of the metalwork for the flaps and started the flap construction. Two sets of everything is required and most importantly make sure that they are handed port and starboard!! :unsure:

To cut out the arms I super glued two brass blanks together then marked out, shaped them with hacksaw and dremel. To drill out the holes I then super glued all 4 pieces together and then drilled them all in one go. That way they are all drilled inline. Last thing I need is flaps giving asymmetrical lift because they are skewed!.

Assembly ready for silver solder. Soft solder is in my view just not strong enough.

After silver soldering

Enough of this metal bashing, time to cut some wood. So started the assembly of the actual flaps themselves. 1/16th skins, 1/2" leading edge and simple ribs. Again double checked to make sure I had built a port and starboard flap! :P

Still got the 4 rear brass arms to make but they can be done tomorrow.

Work hard, play harder!
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Sep 2018 15:05 by Ralpharr2001.

• one tenor
  • 2 Grigg
  • 2 Grigg
  • johnpcalex@gmail.com
More
23 Sep 2018 15:30 - 23 Sep 2018 15:34 #48 by one tenor
Replied by one tenor on topic Fairey Firefly MK5 from Vance Mosher plan
Aldi also do one of them Workzone like Lidl I have a number of WZ tools bought to replace the EINHELL tools given to me by my boss in the garage with the words " These are yours. See if you can wear them out" I didn't wear them out but most of them were stolen years later. Those I still have 30 odd yrs later. Oops belay that 40 odd. I made very good use of them even in the yrs after Ken sold up and went to work for a Ford agent as bodyshop manager when he recovered from his heart attack. They were the first tools I reached for Still do & got a couple pining for me to use them again. So if you are looking for tools and the ones you need are EINHELL don't be afraid of buying them. Also got some good tools from NETTO.( Some of them PARKSIDE as sold by Aldi and Lidl) I almost always got a big discount by picking up on some minor fault or something missing . Best of all was when they were closing down. Bench drill press £ 10, compound saw £ 10. set of air tools £5 including 2 spray guns as one was left from a kit partly robbed out 24 V drill £ 12 as case was damaged. 3 feet long masonry bits x3 £ 5 as one was missing. Router £12 perfect with nice wooden case and bits Got 2 one for joiner son and a router table £ 8. Loadsa more but I'll stop there. a good site for tools etc is MANO MANO----https://www.manomano.co.uk/ good drilling /grinding. John

Anything will fly given enough power
Last edit: 23 Sep 2018 15:34 by one tenor. Reason: correction

• Ralpharr2001
  • 200+ Posts
  • 200+ Posts
More
28 Sep 2018 18:01 - 28 Sep 2018 18:03 #49 by Ralpharr2001
Spent a little time this afternoon testing the flap installation. works nicely, well it will do with a little bit of fettling. So I can now finish the flaps themselves, install the torque rods and finish off the flap area.

Work hard, play harder!
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Sep 2018 18:03 by Ralpharr2001.

• Ralpharr2001
  • 200+ Posts
  • 200+ Posts
More
11 Nov 2018 17:39 #50 by Ralpharr2001
While I was waiting for the covering on the Gannet to dry i started on the ailerons for the Firefly. Similar construction to the elevator. A 1/16 base skin, ribs, spar and top skin of 1/16th. The packing at the tips is to match the washout on the wing. I built them side by side so that I made sure I made a port and starboard set!! :whistle: :whistle: Its good to learn from past mistakes!

Work hard, play harder!
Attachments:

More
11 Nov 2018 18:32 #51 by Eric
Been there, done that! Two left-hand fuz sides!
I've said previously, that a few or several more years ago, I was building something from a plan, and before covering it, I assembled it, to see what it looked like, and if the parts fitted.
It just didn't look right, so I checked everything again over the plan, a piece at a time - perfect - then I happened to put the two wing halves together - and that's when I noticed that one half had a bay more than the other! The kit was wrong, too, as the drawing had the error, and there was the extra rib included! :S

if you are calm and collected when all about you are going berserk - you've missed something important!

• Klipkopwildlife
  • Aermodellers Staff
  • Aermodellers Staff
  • I'm supposed to be retired!
More
17 Nov 2018 07:30 #52 by Klipkopwildlife
Replied by Klipkopwildlife on topic Fairey Firefly MK5 from Vance Mosher plan
That flap operating mechanism is a thing of beauty! I've just spent half an hour looking at that photo and I could go back and do it all again!

Do it now, you may never get another chance

• Ralpharr2001
  • 200+ Posts
  • 200+ Posts
More
18 Nov 2018 16:32 - 18 Nov 2018 16:33 #53 by Ralpharr2001
Thanks Klippy. A lot of work getting the hardware cut and drilled square but it certainly works a treat.

Did some more today. Fitted the aileron leading edge which is from two pieces of 10mm thick balsa glued to the lower skin and aileron spars. When the glue has dried I will carve it down. The hinge tube is the yellow centre from a flexi control push rod epoxied into place. There are lots of balsa parts so build is slow while the glue dries, i'm using white PVA glue for a strong bond. Picture show both ailerons clamped down so they don't distort while the glue dries. Very tedious! :angry:

Work hard, play harder!
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Nov 2018 16:33 by Ralpharr2001.

• Ralpharr2001
  • 200+ Posts
  • 200+ Posts
More
25 Nov 2018 21:14 #54 by Ralpharr2001
Both ailerons have been sheeted, carved and fitted onto the wings. The hinge arms from the secondary wing spar took a little sorting and the ailerons work beautifully. Just a little final sanding and extending the top skin to match with the ridge in the middle of the aileron and they will be complete. Almost ready to sheet the bottom of the wings.

Work hard, play harder!
Attachments:

Time to create page: 1.599 seconds