Excepting new membership 2018

More
15 Oct 2017 11:27 #1 by Bpam
Excepting new membership 2018 was created by Bpam
Burnley and Pendle Aeromodellers...resides in the village of Worsthorne Burnley in Lancashire, and we are excepting new membership for 2018.
If you would like to know more information about our club and joining fees please feel free to look at our website and contact us via the contact page.
www.bpam.club

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• one tenor
  • 2 Grigg
  • 2 Grigg
  • johnpcalex@gmail.com
More
15 Oct 2017 14:16 #2 by one tenor
Replied by one tenor on topic Excepting new membership 2018
Do you mean expecting Bpam

Anything will fly given enough power

More
15 Oct 2017 17:44 #3 by Fly-Navy
Replied by Fly-Navy on topic Excepting new membership 2018
Or maybe accepting :whistle:

Now that I am older it seemed nice I have more patience.
Turns out "I don't give a s**t "

• one tenor
  • 2 Grigg
  • 2 Grigg
  • johnpcalex@gmail.com
More
16 Oct 2017 01:41 #4 by one tenor
Yes of course. [badass]

More
27 Oct 2017 15:50 #5 by Neddy
Replied by Neddy on topic Excepting new membership 2018
Good website!

But is this a sign that model flying - maybe particularly in the RC areas - is in decline? You see over the last year or so I have noticed that a number of clubs, nationally, are advertising for members and are emphasing they are ”drone” friendly.

I used to live in the south and recently have heard of two clubs who have disbanded because they cannot muster enough members to pay the site rental fees. Others have had to increase membership fees because the number of members has fallen and thus so has income. That could be the thin end of a wedge. I know that a few people have moved over to drones but not that many. One source has advised the membership of BMFA is static.

Personally I am not that concerned and feel that if we fewer in numbers we would be less conspicuous and left alone somewhat, as was the case in the good old days of my well spent youth. You see the more people who participate in any activity the more there is likely to be interference by authority. And I suppose I am a little bit of an elitist. I will encourage interest in aeromodelling but not promote it as really I do not see it matters particularly that we do not have more bums on seats.

More
27 Oct 2017 16:11 #6 by Quorneng
Replied by Quorneng on topic Excepting new membership 2018
Neddy
I hope you are right but the concept of being 'left alone' only really worked when there was not so much pressure on the air waves or air space.
I fear any significant decline would result in the sport (and it is still officially a 'sport') becoming politically insignificant and its needs ignored.
The easiest way of satisfying any political or safety issue in any sport is to just create rules that effectively ban it and the UK is probably a world leader in doing this.

More
28 Oct 2017 13:33 - 28 Oct 2017 13:35 #7 by Neddy
I suppose I feel that our needs are not that much heeded anyway so being ignored may not make much difference and we could merge insignificantly into the background. As you say when we were few we were left alone - and I suppose that is my point - if there are a decline in numbers maybe we could be left to do our own thing and gain from it? OK I know it is vastly different but we fly indoors in a sports hall and it could not be more relaxed - we pay the fee between a dozen or so - have a lot of fun - and go home contented knowing that most likely we will continue to be able to do so. Because the Council have no problems with us. Now just about everyone wants to inhibit it us in someway. We are even our own worst enemies in someways. Look at the chuck and duck at the August Nationals. If I were an officer in a local authority who had been approached and knew nothing about model flying one look at some to that footage and it would be "no chance" because I would assume that was what model flying was all about. To give my approval would mean too much paperwork....... so easier to say "NO". Yes I think I can agree with you that we set a good example in promoting safety but whereas when I first started flying in the good old days (fifties) if someone came over in the park or common it was because they were interested to see what I was doing - not to complain. But I remember when joined my first club as a youngster one of the older members said thank goodness for young faces - if we do not get more youngsters in aeromodelling will be dead in ten years. Well nearly 70 years on it is still going.

My point was though is model flying - particularly in the RC area in decline as clubs seem to be looking for members - where as probably only a few years ago they had waiting lists? As to wanting to be left alone - that is because I am a curmudgeonly old B****r who has no patience with the nanny society and control freaks who run our establishment. It is generation thing and I may grow out of it. Just humour me. ;) :silly:
Last edit: 28 Oct 2017 13:35 by Neddy. Reason: grammar

• one tenor
  • 2 Grigg
  • 2 Grigg
  • johnpcalex@gmail.com
More
28 Oct 2017 14:07 #8 by one tenor
Well my old club Liverpool and district no longer exists as far as I can see as also Merseyside and District MFC. :I don't know if they have been supplanted by new clubs or not .or just changed names. Academic now though as I now live in N Wales /

More
28 Oct 2017 14:10 - 28 Oct 2017 14:13 #9 by Eric
Replied by Eric on topic Excepting new membership 2018
With regard to outdoor flying, I suspect the main problem is the NIMBY effect of senior 'officers' in the various council departments. They don't really care what you do, as long as it is somewhere else!
Those that have been following my own r/c club difficulties will know that we are having to relocate, due to the field having bee sold to developers. BUT - everywhere we look is classified as 'green belt'., and although the farmer with the use of the land is quite happy to have us on a patch (guaranteed income, keeps the 'travellers' off, and no crop-failure worries!), as soon as we ask about access tracks, or a cabin, to shelter from inclement weather, the council leap up and down, and say "Oh no, we can't have you spoiling the landscape!" (otherwise 'empty' fields and a few trees and hedges, or vast acreages of oilseed rape, or just plain grass for silage!)
Then, another of my pet annoyances - r/c models are getting bigger and bigger. That means bigger and bigger engines to fly them - and even gas turbines. The bigger the engine, the bigger the noise, and the bigger the model, the bigger the noise footprint becomes. The bigger the noise footprint, the more people become aware of the activity, and it becomes another NIMBY spiral.
BUT - these same councils are selling off 'green belt' to developers, because 'we' need more housing and warehousing. (Build a warehouse on 'green' land, and it is gone for ever) - plus of course, roads to service them!. More roads means more cars, which they are also trying to get rid of!
:evil:

if you are calm and collected when all about you are going berserk - you've missed something important!
Last edit: 28 Oct 2017 14:13 by Eric. Reason: typo

More
28 Oct 2017 14:30 #10 by Neddy
Yes Eric; you see we are at the bottom of the heap. The "cons" for development are endless but there is money in it. Councils get a subsidy from central government for some schemes - the land owner gets a nice pension the developer gets a nice profit but we the populace get pollution, flooding due to rapid run off of surface water and the waterways can't cope, noise and are hemmed in by buildings. Your point about the size of models is valid in my view as well. We seem sometimes to go out of our way to to attract attention and thereby annoy some people, all be it spurious. But when you look at it big RC models are more lucrative from commercial point of view so again it is the spectre of money! Many now seem to be of the buy and fly variety so a good turnover too. Maybe there are two camps now - aeromodellers and model flyers. Maybe the former should distance themselves from the latter........... uh uh had better retire now whilst I can still walk? :oops:

Time to create page: 0.799 seconds