- Posts: 10058
- Thank you received: 19043
Antonov AN 124 Rusian
- Quorneng
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Forum Master
-
This was a relief as it will result in a significant tail weight saving from it all being permanently built into the fuselage.
Pics to follow as it happens.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Quorneng
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Forum Master
-
- Posts: 10058
- Thank you received: 19043
For CofG reasons the battery/s (?) will have to be well forward but hopefully still part of the wing structure.
To keep the ESC to battery distance to a minimum will mean the motor to ESC wires will be long, indeed for the outboard motors they will close to 900 mm long!
Given the lengths required lacquered 0.71 mm magnet wire will be used to save weight and the first bench test will use 900 mm wires as it represents the worst case scenario.
Fortunately the 'Little Bee' ESCs are tiny.
No BEC so a separate UBEC is required which is actually slightly larger than the ESC!
Only a quick test run so far. The Wattmeter showed just 4.95 A on a not fully charged 4s.
It makes a very realistic noise and certainly seems to pull pretty hard. I shall have to find a way to measure it reasonably accurately.
I am looking for at least 5 oz (140 g) thrust from each nacelle but even that would be pretty marginal.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Quorneng
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Forum Master
-
- Posts: 10058
- Thank you received: 19043
Surprisingly quiet but to be fair 'hand held' does eliminate any resonance which the complete air frame certainly will. It should sound quite impressive with all four going.
Still got to work out how best to measure the thrust. If it is too feeble then it is on to 'plan B' before going any further.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- crash happy
-
- Offline
- Platinum Member
-
- Oops. did I say that out loud!
- Posts: 1250
- Thank you received: 1203
PS. If you can't find some paperwork that was on your desk It got blown down the back !
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Quorneng
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Forum Master
-
- Posts: 10058
- Thank you received: 19043
The thing that went down behind the desk was actually an envelope that contained my old cut up driving licence that I was going to send to the DVLC until I noticed it required a stamp! So I think it can safely remain behind the desk for the time being.
A bit more progress, a thrust test stand.
It will push down on a set of kitchen scales.
At the moment the exhaust is exactly the FSA (Fan Swept Area) whereas the inlet is 1.16 times it.
Conventional 'EDF' wisdom suggest maximum thrust is obtained with an exhaust at about 85% the FSA and peps have actual test results to prove it.
However this is for multi blade EDF fans and to my mind mostly with questionable inlet ducts. Few actually measure the EDF in free air probably because they don't really want to know how much thrust the ducts actually loose!
I can make a 'pear' shaped tail cone that could reduce the exhaust area so out of curiosity I might take the opportunity to test the theory but I will be amazed if it make a measurable difference.
Finally a bit of a disaster.
I dropped one of the pylon motor mounts onto a hard floor.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- crash happy
-
- Offline
- Platinum Member
-
- Oops. did I say that out loud!
- Posts: 1250
- Thank you received: 1203
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- paul d
-
- Offline
- Forum Veteran
-
- Posts: 2074
- Thank you received: 2292
I suppose it could be described as a non rotating "kort nozzle"
balsa is best.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Klipkopwildlife
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
- I'm supposed to be retired!
Do it now, you may never get another chance
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- crash happy
-
- Offline
- Platinum Member
-
- Oops. did I say that out loud!
- Posts: 1250
- Thank you received: 1203
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Quorneng
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Forum Master
-
- Posts: 10058
- Thank you received: 19043
This means I could be looking at a thrust to weight of about 80% which would greatly improve the chances of it flying properly.
I then produced this rather exotic shaped exhaust tail cone.
Its bulge reduces the exhaust area to 95% of the FSA.
To my amazement with it installed the thrust went up to 8.3 oz.
I then removed it and did two tests, first with the cone removed altogether - 7.9 oz, then with the simple 'FSA' cone - 7.9 oz again. I then put the bulged cone back on - thrust back to 8.3 oz.
All the test were done on the same battery without any recharge.
It appears I have to eat humble pie!
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- crash happy
-
- Offline
- Platinum Member
-
- Oops. did I say that out loud!
- Posts: 1250
- Thank you received: 1203
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Klipkopwildlife
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
- I'm supposed to be retired!
Do it now, you may never get another chance
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Quorneng
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Forum Master
-
- Posts: 10058
- Thank you received: 19043
The motor wires run just behind the spar web.
The ESCs are just temporarily placed for testing.
The motor wires are soldered directly onto the ESCs so you are faced with having to re solder a pair if the motor goes the wrong way.
I actually did it on 3 occasions and each time it was wrong.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Quorneng
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Forum Master
-
- Posts: 10058
- Thank you received: 19043
Its starting to get quite loud!
The throttle ranges of the drone "BL Heli" ESCs are not particularly well matched and they beep periodically as well as if rearming although once running they work ok.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- paul d
-
- Offline
- Forum Veteran
-
- Posts: 2074
- Thank you received: 2292
Even though it's well known I'm not a electric fan ( no pun) they did sound good, with a more linear throttle they could be mistaken for jets.
balsa is best.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.